Of all the forms of cannabis consumption, there is none better than edibles. When used properly, they are the safest, most discrete, and most affordable way to get high. When used improperly, however, they can cause paranoia, nausea, and a ruined night. As a decently seasoned user of edibles, I would like to offer up some of my best tips for getting started on the right foot.
- Be with people you trust. This is my first tip because brushing it off would be a very bad idea. You don’t know how you’re going to react to the edibles, and if you’re with people you don’t know very well the last thing you want is to be freaked out and embarrassed. In the vulnerable position of being extremely high, you want to be around people that make you feel safe and comfortable.
- Get your edibles from someone reliable. This may seem like common sense, but it’s very important. If you can’t access something from a dispensary, it’s a necessity to trust the reputation of the person you’re buying from. You don’t want to have to worry about what’s in the goods you’re consuming, so use dealers you or a friend are familiar with.
- Take less than you’re told to. If the person you’re getting the edible from says to take two, take one. If they say to take half, take a quarter. They likely have a far higher tolerance for these than you do and, speaking from experience, so unless you want to be shaking with your head between your knees on the bathroom floor, take half their recommendation.
- Don’t take more if it’s not working. While there may be a chance the edible actually isn’t working, nine times out of ten it’s just kicking in late. It can take up to two hours sometimes. Be patient.
- A small group is best. Edibles should be ideally taken in a group of three to seven. It isn’t something you should try for the first time before or at a party. It will likely be hard to socialize, and being in a party setting may lead to anxiety. If you do find yourself insanely high at a party, the bathroom is the most reliable place to cool off.
- Don’t get crossed the first time you take edibles. You will throw up.
- Know that you are going to be okay. If you take too much, it’s okay. You’re going to be okay. Everybody has been there. If you end up freaking out, try listening to comfort music, drinking water, talking to a friend, taking a shower, and/or laying down. Remember that you can’t overdose on weed and do your best to get out of your own head.
- Enjoy the experience! You’re going to have a good time. There is nothing to worry about and if it ends up being a bad time, at least it will make for a good story.